AQUACULTURE: DRAFT DEVELOPMENT BILL GAZETTED FOR COMMENT
17 November 2023
Fisheries & Aquaculture
SA Legal Academy
The Department of Forestry, Fisheries & the Environment has gazetted a draft Aquaculture Development Bill on which input is sought by 16 January 2024.
Approved by Cabinet during a meeting on 13 September 2023, the draft Bill’s overarching objective is to ‘create a more enabling business environment for the industry in order to stimulate ... growth and development, boost investor confidence and, ultimately, job creation’.
To that end, it seeks to:
- provide a ‘dedicated legal framework’ for the management and sustainable development of the marine and freshwater aquaculture sectors
- improve the sector’s contribution to ‘food and nutrition security’
- address ‘historical imbalances in accessing aquaculture opportunities’
- streamline the prevailing ‘fragmented regulatory framework … (and) authorisations regime’, and
- facilitate a ‘co-ordinated’ approach to sector management.
Please click the links below for more information:
Published by SA Legal Academy Policy Watch
There are not comments for this article at the moment, check back later.
You must be logged in to add a comment, log in now